Progress Update # 1

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 0 comments
Ever since I made my final study model, my project has progressed a lot, and an abundance of ideas have come about. 
Below, I want to share with you, my readers, my thoughts and sketches.

Figure X1 illustrates plans for the general height of the overall structure. I want my eventual building to be a landmark and a visible icon for New York City, therefore, I have settled upon 60 ft. At that height, my building should comfortably be able to enjoy Manhattan and Waterfront views from its windows, and likewise, people in Manhattan and those arriving into New York Harbor should be able to recognize my structure. The overall exhibition height (EX) is 15 ft., with 5 ft. sunk underground. The museum height is therefore 50 ft; the amount of floors and the height of each floor in the museum space is yet to be determined.

Figure X2 illustrates a simple diagram for the coffee shop. I plan to maintain it as a small coffee shop that mainly only sells merchandise, providing little to no seating. The idea is that I would have this very beautiful space outside surrounding my main building and people should go out and enjoy the views instead.

Figure X3 gives a general idea of the placing of my structures and the rationale behind it. The largest structure, the main structure, will follow the shape of a triangle. I chose the triangle because my site mainly offers 3 views, one to Brooklyn, one to Manhattan, and another to NY Harbor. The longest side of the triangle will face Brooklyn, as all the component elements (stairs, ramps, etc.) would start from this side, and therefore would need the most spaces. The next two sides are angled facing their respective views in order to take advantage of their unique vistas. 

The next sized triangle is the coffee shop. I had difficulty properly orienting this building because I had difficulties in determining which side would require a more direct view from the coffee shop. Is it the museum that the coffee shop should be facing? Or should it be facing the street? I am currently open to suggestions. For now, I have oriented it to face both sides, but as floorplans for the coffee shop is finalized, this may be subject to change.

The smaller triangles in the southwest are planned to be small pavilions that would provide seating for my visitors who would enjoy their coffee there while admiring my landmark building and the surrounding New York skyline and waterfront.


#a13

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2014 [ Design ➏ ] by darien | TNB