Concepts thru Collage | "Impression"

Monday, March 10, 2014 0 comments
In this exercise, we were tasked with creating three collages about our future building. Each of these collages would have a specific theme assigned to it. Images selected "should inspire, show different outlines, scales, details and materials". The three themes selected were:

"Impression" - Our general feel and impression with the site
"Edge" - Our personal image of the word "edge"
"Program" - Our eventual chosen program for the project

"Impression"

~ When I first visited the site, I immediately found it to be a very intriguing place. For me, it is a site of great contrasts. On one side, you have the bustling cityscape of New York greeting you, but on the other side, it is nearly desolate, as only the vast open sea and glimpses of Staten Island constitute the view. The location of the site contrasts between being isolated and bustling as well. On one hand, taking in mind that the site is in New York Harbor, located in the most populous borough of the city, the site is easily accessible and is well attached to the complex fabric that is New York City. On the other hand, the site, and the neighborhood it belongs to, Red Hook, is one of the most isolated, and, unfortunately, due to the tragedy that is Hurricane Sandy, it lags behind other neighborhoods in the city. This contrasting relationship between isolation and integration forms the backbone of my image of the site, and thus of my resulting collage.
 
On the left, I have chosen images that show instances of isolation and desolation. I have purposely made the images black and white because I wanted to convey a somber and serene tone. 

On the right side, I have chosen images that show instances of vibrant city life. As a counterpart to the images on the left, I have intentionally chosen very colorful images. For me, color represents life, it represents vibrancy and excitement.
For me, the words isolation and integrated, best describe my impression of our site. For the background, I have put together web like images as a symbolism, that even though the images on the left may vary greatly from those on the right, they are intricately related to each other, and together, they form the wonderful plot of land that we now call our site. The creature in the center of the image is a personification of myself. It has three heads and three different expressions, because of the different impressions and feelings it has at the same time.


"Impression"
 




To see the "Edge" Collage, click here
To see the "Program" Collage, click here



# a9a

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2014 [ Design ➏ ] by darien | TNB