Building Typologies

Monday, February 3, 2014 2 comments


1.  Which building typology you are researching?
> I will be researching exhibition spaces & museum-esque types of building.

2.  Why are you researching this building typology?
> My main inspiration comes from pavilions constructed for the 2010 Shanghai World Expo. I had the opportunity to attend the exposition back then, and I was really impressed by the architecture of the pavilions and how these beautiful buildings expressed themselves. The symbolism and national identity assumed by the buildings are very powerful and I, as an architectural student, am very eager to learn about expressing parti thru structures.

3.  What is the specialty of this building type you would like to research?
> Exhibition space with a specific cause.

4.  What are the examples that you will be researching?
> British Pavilion – Heatherwick Studio 
  
> Chinese Pavilion – He Jin Tang
> Danish Pavilion – BIG + Arup
> Korean Pavilion – Mass Studies
> Spanish Pavilion – EMBT Miralles-Tagliabue 
    
> Singaporean Pavilion - Kay Ngee Tan Architects
> Italian Pavilion – Iodice Architetti   
> UAE Pavilion – Foster + Partners
> Polish Pavilion – WWA Architects
  
> Israeli Pavilion – Haim Z. Dotan

5.  What are you goals for working with this building type?            
 >  The national pavilions in Expo 2010 were built in the way they were because they had to exude a national identity. In my opinion, the 10 examples I chose, exemplified this perfectly. I am interested in learning how to better express my ideas into actual buildings, and by studying these precedents, I believe they can help me further my knowledge in design.

6.  What are the program elements that you see included at this point in your building?
> In the exposition, the main goal of each pavilion was to have a theme, and then present this theme to the visitors by way of the building architecture itself and the exhibits within. I would definitely like to include a theme about Red Hook, Hurricane Sandy, and the perseverance and rebuilding efforts, and work around this theme to make an exhibition space about it.


# a2

2 comments:

  • Jill Bouratoglou said...

    Could your project be a monument, dedication, museum? Or do you see your research looking at these pavilions and then creating a building based on these concepts? What would be your building typology of your final project?

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2014 [ Design ➏ ] by darien | TNB